Wednesday, September 23, 2009

virtue of maintenance

So many time the small things of life are overlooked. Installing a toilet is viewed as lower than gaining education. Changing spark plugs is lower than teaching a class. Why have we come to believe these things? Why do we prize paying someone to talk at us more than physical work? Why is it that I prefer a plumber to a student or a mechanic to a professor?
The world has become and interesting dualism. Where the world of the mind is viewed higher than the world of the hands. This is never more apparent than the Church in the world today. When has knowing the greek mattered to a woman who has lost a child? When has eschatology mattered to a family struggling to make ends meet?
My mind has wandered to this point because I sit here typing while my hands hurt from working on my car. Why do they hurt? Because I use my mind to avoid the labor of my hands. My hands can serve a meal, my hands car rake a yard but my mind can only think grand thoughts. Which matters more to you?
I propose that the seminarian spend time as a janitor.
To learn the virtue of maintenance.
I propose that I spend less time thinking and more time doing.

feedback please...
this is an incomplete thought...

2 comments:

Eric Szyrko said...

I like this. I like this because suddenly the guy with all the bible knowledge doesn't seem like he's holier than me. I like this because I think it's what Jesus wants for his people. He wants doers, not just thinkers. Though thinkers aren't bad, many thinkers stop at that. They say many a grand statement and don't follow it up with action and commitment and impact for the kingdom. They hope other people will do this for them.

Hm...
So where does that leave the big name speakers of this world? Rob Bell, Ravi Zacharias, Donald Miller, etc. Do they go out and serve? Are they involved in their communities? How can they be with the schedules they must have?

Jeremy Rhodes said...

we all are busy.
making time for service as an act of worship could be a new but necessary act of the church.
good thought on the speakers of the word i will have to think about that...